Some Lutherans had moved to Nashville in the 1880's and took out membership in St. Peter's (Hahlen) southwest of the city. Others came, some from neighboring areas to spend their retirement years in Nashville; some for employment. All of them found it difficult to attend services regularly at St. Peter's, and to bring their children regularly to school due to weather and roads.
“Trinity Lutheran Congregation” had its origin when occasional services were conducted in our (Washington County) courthouse by Student Katthain of Hoyleton…and when, in the year 1886, biweekly services were being conducted by Pastor H. Kollmorgen of St. Peter’s Church, Hahlen, IL. Trinity made its first financial pledge for “the Building of the Kingdom” on December 6, 1886. On March 3, 1887, a constitution was adopted and signed. In April, 1887, the first officers were elected.
The decision to join the “Lutheran Synod of Missouri, Ohio and other states” (now The Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod) came in May 1887.
One of the early decisions was to provide a place of worship as well as a Christian Day School. January 31, 1887 a building on Troutt and Elm Streets was purchased to serve as a place of worship and a parish school. May 12, 1901 voters made the decision to build a church. The new church was dedicate October 19, 1902 and served as the house of worship until a new church was build and dedicated in 1978.
In 1922, a school “large enough for 100 pupils and having a full basement” was built and September 2, 1923 was dedicated. In the 1950’s a decision to enlarge the school was made. On September 6, 1953 an enlarged school was rededicated.
1954 the question arose regarding Trinity’s official name. In its incorporation in 1888 the name had been “Evangelical Lutheran Trinity Church.” The name was officially changed to “Trinity Lutheran Congregation, Nashville”.
In 1975 a committee was appointed by voters to study the condition and structural soundness of the 1902 church building. Ground breaking for the new church was on June 5, 1977; cornerstone laying was on May 7, 1978 and the new church was dedicated December 10, 1978. In February 1979, the 1902 church structure and its contents were sold at auction. Eventually the structure was razed.
Trinity Congregation’s History attempts to reflect the substance of God’s command to us: that of seeking His Kingdom, He uses pastors and people; adults and youth and children; teachers and pupils as the human “building blocks” to help further His Kingdom.
(All facts taken from Trinity Lutheran Congregation Book 1886-1986 and Washington County Sesquicentennial Book 1818-1968)